6/1/11

Day at the MET

Took a trip to the MET today to see the new exhibit "Rooms with a View," which presents paintings and drawings by Northern European artists who created pictures that showcased interiors and windows. The show had subtle beauty and was worth the trip. I didn't plan on it, but ended up seeing Alexander McQueen's "Savage Beauty,"which was a whole experience unique to anything I've ever seen. I never payed too much attention to McQueen but found myself intrigued and wanting to know more about the inner workings of such a creative individual. I wish photos were allowed in the exhibit because I dont have adequate words to describe the haunting, yet fantastical designs, imagery, and sounds featured in the show. Seeing them in person was definitely unforgettable. I recommend it to anyone who wants to see something completely odd and crazy, and at the same time, doesn't mind being sandwiched between people to see it-- the crowds were terrible!

After seeing the two shows I did my usual tour through the European wing and visited a few old favorites. I decided a few trips ago that this Monet is my all time favorite within the entire museum:
"Ice Floes" has an understated color palette that if viewed close up is actually full of rich color. The muted tones suggest a solemness and tranquility that speaks to me for some reason or another. This painting, has had a big effect on my aesthetic and after seeing it once again today I think I'm going to do some paintings inspired by it. On the ride home, as we drove North on the West Side Highway, the humidity of the day gave the view across the hudson that magical blueish magenta tint to it. We ended up stopping off at a rest stop in New Jersey which overlooks the city and the view was beautiful. It actually reminded me a lot of Monet's painting, which seemed rather serendipitous:
This last picture is just for fun. I sat on the edge of this triangle rock attached to the cliff and made sure to not fall off. Below me is an extremely sharp drop off, and as I looked over the edge I tried not to picture myself slipping and falling to my death, which was hard not to do:
Overall, it was a great day and makes me love New York even more than I ever thought I could. It's definitely home to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment